Monday, June 29, 2009

'SHA-MON!' For New Dictionary Entry! YES, WE CAN!

That's what they should do in honor of Michael, if they haven't already. I am fond of words (even ones that technically don't exist). I use them often, being a person who never shuts up. If I'm not writing or chatterboxing to people I'm not shy around, I'm having hours-long, in depth conversations with myself. Call it insanity, or a type of narcissism if you feel inclined. I find conversations with myself to be an enlightening experience. Even the dirty conversations. Hehe.
Also, I used to read the dictionary for fun. I remember when I first heard about that Christian metal band, Stryper. Something about how they used to throw Bibles into the audience. Besides the jokes about one smacking somebody upside the head while the singer shouts, "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" in some weird exorcism ritual, I decided to throw dictionaries at people if I was in a popular band. To encourage better spelling, better vocabulary, and a better chance of winning at Scrabble. Winning at Scrabble is like winning at life in my family. Hell, winning at Life is like winning at life. I always thought winning at Uno was like winning at life too. I take sick, sadistic pleasure in laying down a series of Draw Twos and Draw Fours in rapid succession and going, "Yeah, draw those cards, biatch! BOOYAH!"
Naturally I don't take losing well.
I actually have a list of favorite words buried in my brain somewhere, but as I get older and the dementia kicks in, I can't remember all of them right off. Plus, the list would be too long anyway. I will say at one point my favorite word used to be 'rendezvous.' Unfortunately I've never used it in a Scrabble game. I have used 'torque,' 'foal,' and 'penis,' though.
'Torque' got me triple word points and won me the game. 'Foal' was challenged despite my repetitve, "IT'S A BABY FRIGGIN' HORSE!" shouted explanation. That's why I mentioned it. And 'penis'...well, I should have calculated the reaction. I was playing with my aunt and uncle. It was worth it. I pulled out my Beavis and Butt-Head laugh.
But hey, now they know what a foal is. Knowledge is power, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment