Friday, August 26, 2011

In Pursuit of Sustenance

As I type this, sweat is still clinging to my back. My hair is damp, and the exhaustion is creeping up on me like a thief in the night. A perfect testimony to my lack of physical shape, it feels as if I've just reached the summit of a tall mountain and gone back down again. In reality we only walked a few miles and back. The heat was scorching, the sun sending its bright light right (try saying that 10 times fast) into our faces. I had considered doing a rain dance in the middle of the street. Even some cloud cover would have been acceptable. Maybe some wind. How much is that to ask? In the almost three months that I've been here, I can count on one hand how many times it's rained.

Anyway, enough about the weather. The question is: why? Why did we do this? The exercise? Sort of. Lack of transportation? Yeah, that's part of it. I've given the most important reason away in the title, of course. We were hungry.

The chosen restaurant: Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Zach went there for his birthday last year and told me about it since I was over 2000 miles away at the time. Today was my first time there, after bugging him to go for the last couple weeks. I'd read all kinds of great things about it, mostly on The Consumerist, and read some not-so-great things. Those mostly came from the Californians spoiled by In-N-Out Burger. I've been to California twice, and still haven't tried it. Maybe someday...but I digress.

When we finally reached the place, we were drenched in sweat and ready to kiss the inventors of deodorant and air conditioning.

The interior at this location looked very clean, which was immediately a plus. It was semi-crowded, but I'd expected more people at dinner time on a Friday evening. Also a plus, since I was starving and too many people make me feel claustrophobic.

The inside is decorated in a red and white color scheme, with praises from a variety of sources plastered on the walls. Okay, so you've shown me several reasons to have high expectations before I even have the food in my hands. Now prove them right.

The prices are fairly high, which is a minus. For two "little" bacon burgers (one patty instead of two), two drinks, and one regular order of Cajun fries, it set me back over $17. The bright side is that there's a big list of toppings that one can choose from, all free, and free refills on the drinks. If I hadn't consumed a few cups of pop, then I doubt the meal would have been filling enough for me. Then again, I have a voracious appetite. The regular fries were said to feed two people; I definitely felt like I needed my own. Most people probably would be satisfied, though. But, considering the price, it should be enough for anyone. Next time I hope I can afford one with two patties.

My burger was essentially like a steak on a bun.

Toppings: onions, grilled mushrooms, lettuce, green peppers, A1 steak sauce, and hot sauce.

For the most part, it was delicious. The Cajun fries were even better than I expected. The main problem was with the bun. It fell apart. I've seen other complaints about that, so I know it's not just one bad bun. Zach's was doing the same thing.

Pros: Lots of free toppings, free refills, friendly staff, clean interior, yummy fries

Cons:
A little expensive for those with limited budgets (like yours truly), buns that fall apart, extensive use of peanut oil. The last isn't actually a con for me, but would be for those with peanut allergies. There are also peanuts sitting out for people to snack on while they wait or with their food. Definitely an allergy danger zone. I can relate. I almost died at Red Lobster once.

Overall, I would recommend it if you're tired of run of the mill fast food burgers and fries, like to get creative with your food, and have a little extra money to spend. They also serve hot dogs and vegetarian options. I will definitely be going there again sometime.

(Also, I didn't notice, but Zach told me that some creeper was staring at my ass while I was there. I NEVER notice things like that. Most of the time I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings. Oops.)

Oh, and my 'R' key isn't sticking anymore.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a funny coincidence.. a branch of this same restaurant just opened up here in in Findlay this past week, across from the mall. I decided to check it out today with my brother after having heard about one opening here, and now after this blog about your experience going to the one there. I've never been to one before.

    You're right.. the interior is very red and white, and clean.

    Pros for me: The burger was really good, and of course tasted just fresher than McDs and the like. I got the Little Cheeseburger and regular size Cajun fries. The fries to me were okay, but personally I preferred the taste of the regular style my brother got. I like dipping fries in ketchup, so I got that too. And there were a TON of fries in my bag. I finished about a 3rd of them during our sitting. Then I stopped, and decided to start on a little of my burger before I would be to full to. So I started on the burger, and it was great. There was cheese on it of course, being the cheeseburger; and then I got lettuce, tomato, mayo, and mustard on it. I got about halfway through it and felt pleasantly full, so I decided to save the other half of my burger and fries to reheat tonight back here at the apartment for supper.

    The cons for me were: Maybe it was just an off batch, but I would have preferred the fries to have been a little more crispy. They seemed a bit limp and underdone. And there were A LOT in there.. I wish they'd had an option for a little smaller size of them for a single person.

    Having read your post, I did pay attention to see if the bun would fall apart. It kind of was. My brother and I thought that was probably happening because they throw the burger in the bottom of the bag, and it sits there steaming itself inside its package until you've finished digging through the fries to get to it.

    The main con for me was the bottled water I also got. I kicked myself for ordering it, because I figured afterward I could have just asked for water in a cup and gotten that for free, like most restaurants supply complimentarily. But the waiter suggested I get a bottled water, and before I thought it through, I'd said okay, and paid for it. For a pretty small bottle, it cost $1.79! Way overpriced to me.

    But that aside, the burger and fries were priced pretty reasonably, considering how large I thought the portions were sized.

    My brother and I sat outside under and umbrella table. It was nice. The snacking peanuts were a unique touch to the atmosphere. Have you ever been to a Texas Roadhouse? The snacking peanuts reminded me of there, because that restaurant does has them too.

    Oh, and another plus for me was that while we were waiting for our order, Led Zeppelin was playing on the radio ;) The place was extremely busy, seeing as they just had their grand opening this week, and it was loud inside with the grill being right out in the open and order numbers being called out. But it was fine, as long as one knows that's the kind of atmosphere to expect when going there. It was packed inside, so my brother and I ate outside, and it was fine out there.

    So it was pretty good. One other thing I wished I'd done after I had ordered, was to get A1 sauce on my burger. I don't know why I didn't think to. I've always been addicted that sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, forgive the typos.. I was too lazy to proofread before posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, that IS a funny coincidence! I've heard that Five Guys has been expanding a lot, so it's interesting to know where exactly it's happening.

    I'm thinking we got screwed out of some fries, because Zach said that he had a lot more the last time he went. It might depend on who is working there at the time. Some people might be more generous with them. It was just really disappointing to pay almost $20 for a small(IMO)amount of food.

    You're right about the fries being limp. And it seems like I've read a lot of complaints about that. I personally didn't mind it too much, but more crispy likely would have made them even better.

    That probably is why the buns are doing that. They are also made differently than ones you get at other places (or so I've read), so that might also be a factor.

    I try never to buy bottled water at places because they always mark up the prices ridiculously. They do the same thing with soda, really. It only costs a few cents per cup, but they charge a couple bucks for it. That's probably why most places do free refills on it, because they know it doesn't cost much. Anyway...

    I've noticed that the prices at Five Guys differ depending on your location. It's a bit cheaper in Ohio than it is here, because it's more expensive here in general. Washington state even has the highest state minimum wage, lol.

    I used to live down the street from a Texas Roadhouse when I lived in Ohio. My mom LOVES that place. I forgot that they had peanuts. I don't eat them. XD

    They were playing good music at the one here as well! I freaked out when one of my favorite Neil Young songs came on. That made it a much more pleasant dining experience. :)

    The A1 sauce is fantastic on it. If you go back sometime, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete